The purpose of this policy is to establish procedures to efficiently receive public input and to ensure that the School Board of Moorhead Area Public Schools recognizes the importance of obtaining public input on matters properly before the School Board.
II. GENERAL STATEMENT
In order for the School Board to efficiently receive public input on matters properly before the School Board, the procedures set forth in this policy are established by the School Board.
A. Public Hearings
Public hearings are required by law to be held concerning certain issues, including but not limited to, school closings (Minn. Stat. 123B.51), education district establishment (Minn. Stat. 123A.15) and agreements for secondary education (Minn. Stat. 123A.30). Additionally, other public hearings may be held by the School Board on school district matters at the discretion of the School Board.
B. Notice of a Public Hearing
Public notice of a public hearing required by law shall be given as provided by the enabling legislation. Public notice of other hearings shall be given in the manner required for a regular meeting if held in conjunction with a regular meeting, in the manner required for a special meeting if held in conjunction with a special meeting, or as otherwise determined by the School Board.
C. Public Participation
The School Board retains the right to require that those in attendance at a public hearing indicate their desire
to address the School Board to complete Administrative Procedure 212.1: Sign-up Form for Visitors/Public Input
that includes the name, address of the person or group, and a brief statement on the subject to be covered or the issue to be addressed. This is to be given to the School Board Clerk or School Board Secretary before addressing the School Board.
1. Format of Request: If required by the the School Board, a written request of an individual or a group to address the School Board shall contain the name and address of the person or group seeking to address the School Board. It shall also contain the name of the group represented, if any, and a brief statement of the subject to be covered or the issue to be addressed.
2. Time Limitation: The School Board retains the discretion to limit the time for each presentation as needs dictate;
3. Groups: The School Board retains the discretion to require that any group of persons who desire to address the School Board designate one representative or spokesperson. In the event that the School Board requires the designation of a representative or spokesperson, no other person in the group will be recognized to address the School Board, except as otherwise determined by the School Board.
4. Privilege to Speak: Only those speakers recognized by the Chair will be allowed to speak. A School Board member will direct any remarks or questions through the Chair. The Chair may request school district administration to respond to a question or issue. Comments by others are out of order. Individuals who interfere with or interrupt speakers, the School Board, or the proceedings, may be directed to leave.
5. Personal Attacks: Personal attacks by anyone addressing the School Board are unacceptable. Persistence in such remarks by an individual shall terminate that person’s privilege to address the School Board. This assures open and orderly public discussion as well as protects the due process and privacy rights of individuals under state and federal laws.
6. Limitations on Participation: Depending upon the number of persons in attendance seeking to be heard, the School Board reserves the right to impose other limitations and restrictions as necessary in order to provide an orderly, efficient, and fair opportunity for those present to be heard.
Minn. Stat. 123A.15 (Education District Establishment)
Minn. Stat. 123A.30 (Agreements for Secondary Education)
Minn. Stat. 123B.51 (School Closings)
Moorhead School Board Policy 210: School Board Meeting Rules of Order
Moorhead School Board Policy 211: Open and Closed School Board Meetings
Moorhead School Board Policy 504: Protection and Privacy of Student Records
MSBA/MASE Model Policy 207 (Public Hearings)
MSBA/MASA Model Policy 206 (Public Participation in School Board Meetings/Complaints about Persons at School Board Meetings and Data Privacy Considerations)