School Board elections are held the first Tuesday in November of even number years in conjunction with state general elections. Board members are elected at large for four-year terms. New directors take their seats in January, and the Board elects new officers at that time.
Information for Prospective School Board Candidates
Several qualities of effective School Board members that have been identified by the Minnesota School Boards Association are: a conviction that public education is important; the ability to make decisions and communicate well with others; time and energy to devote to board business; respect for district staff; and ability to make decisions that are in the best interest of students and citizens.
In order to be eligible to be elected to the School Board a person must be:
- at least 21 years old at the time the term of office begins,
- a resident of the district for at least 30 days prior to the election,
- an eligible voter, which includes the requirement that one is a citizen of the United States, and
- not registered as a convicted sex offender.
Important Dates to Remember
July 31, 2018: First day to file for School Board election
August 14, 2018: Last day to file for School Board election
August 16, 2018: Last day for candidates to withdraw (by 5 p.m.)
November 6, 2018: School Board election
January 7, 2019: Term begins for School Board members elected in the 2018 general election
Filing for School Board Elections
The filing fee for school district office is $2. Once the Affidavit of Candidacy has been filed with the school district clerk and the fee paid, the filing fee will not be refunded. Filing should be done in the Office of the Superintendent at Probstfield Center for Education, 2410 14th St. S., Moorhead. An Affidavit of Candidacy is available from the Office of the Superintendent.
A candidate may file a petition in place of the $2 filing fee. The petition must be signed by individuals eligible to vote for the candidate. Petitions must be signed by the lesser of 500 signatures or 5 percent of the number of votes cast in the school district at the preceding school board election.
Affidavit of Candidacy
An Affidavit of Candidacy is available from the Office of the Superintendent. The Affidavit of Candidacy must state:
- the name of the office sought
- that the candidate:
- is an eligible voter
- has no other affidavit on file as a candidate for any office at the same general election
- is, or will be on assuming office, 21 years of age or more
- will have maintained residence in the district for 30 days before the general election
- that the candidate's name as written on the affidavit is the candidate's true name or the name by which the candidate is generally known in the community.
Campaign Financial Report
Candidates who receive contributions or make disbursements of more than $750 are required to complete a financial report. Candidates should refer to the campaign manual for more information.
Board Member Training
A newly elected School Board member will receive training in school finance and management within 180 days of taking office. The training is developed in consultation with the Minnesota School Boards Association and the Minnesota Department of Education.