Eight Candidates File for School Board Election
August 19, 2020
The Moorhead School Board is made up of seven residents of Independent School District 152 who are elected at large to four-year terms. School Board elections are held in even number years in conjunction with state general elections. The filing deadline for School Board candidates was Tuesday, August 11 at 5 p.m.
Four Moorhead School Board members’ terms will expire at the end of 2020, and they are all running for re-election along with four new candidates. The complete list of candidates for this election year include:
- Incumbent, Cassidy Bjorklund, Moorhead, currently serving as chairperson of the School Board. She was first elected to the board in 2016.
- Incumbent, Scott Steffes, Moorhead. He was first elected to the board in 2012.
- Incumbent, Melissa Burgard, Moorhead, currently serving as vice-chair of the School Board. She was first elected to the board in 2016.
- Incumbent, Matt Valan, Moorhead. He was first elected to the board in 2012.
- Ezzat Haider, Moorhead
- Thaddeus Laugisch, Moorhead
- Shawn Stumphf, Moorhead
- David Marquardt, Moorhead
In order to be eligible to be elected to the School Board a person must be:
- at least 21 years old at the time the term of office begins,
- a resident of the district for at least 30 days prior to the election,
- an eligible voter, which includes the requirement that one is a citizen of the United States, and
- not registered as a convicted sex offender.
The School Board election will be held Nov. 3 in conjunction with the general election, and the term for elected 2020 members will begin on Jan. 4, 2021.
Additional Moorhead School Board information can be found here.