Constructing Dreams for Growth and Learning
Operating Levy Renewal Fast Facts
Election Day: Nov. 8, 2016
Moorhead School District residents will have an opportunity to vote November 8, 2016, on an operating levy renewal that will provide $223.66 per pupil in voter-approved funding each year for the next 10 years beginning with the 2018-19 school year.
- This extends current funding; it is to maintain current operating levy funds to support learning for our growing student enrollment.
- The average home in the district will see zero tax impact with renewal of the operating levy. Agricultural property is exempt except for the value of the house, garage and surrounding one acre.
- Revenue from renewal of the operating levy would address five priority areas identified by the School Board.
- Support learning and operate our new and existing schools for our growing student enrollment.
- Maintain average class sizes.
- Provide a source of stable and predictable revenue to avoid reductions.
- Maintain and replace technology equipment.
- Maintain access to education programs including world languages and early childhood.
- 99% of Minnesota school districts use operating levy funding. Statewide the average operating levy authority is $1,187 per pupil. Moorhead Area Public Schools is below state average at $947.66 per pupil — of which $223.66 is voter approved and up for renewal and $724 is board approved.
- The operating levy generates approximately $1.5 million for the school district. The board has determined that if the operating levy is not renewed reductions would occur in staff, services and programs.
Prepared and paid for by Independent School District 152, Moorhead Area Public Schools, 2410 14th St. S., Moorhead, MN 56560.