Attend “Be SMART” safety presentation on Oct. 15
October 8, 2019
You are invited to attend an informative 20-minute “Be SMART” presentation at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 15 in the Moorhead High School auditorium. Retired educators Sarah King and Martha Wheeler will share safety information from BeSMARTforkids.org.
Every year in the United States, nearly 300 children age 17 and under gain access to a firearm and unintentionally shoot themselves or someone else. Nearly 600 more die by suicide with a gun.
BeSMARTforkids.org has developed an acronym and set of guidelines to help parents and adults prevent child gun deaths and injuries.
Learn how to protect kids using these “SMART” steps:
- Secure guns in homes and vehicles;
- Model responsible behavior;
- Ask about firearms in other homes your child visits;
- Recognize the role of guns in suicide; and
- Tell your peers to “Be SMART.”