Mostly Cloudy

Wind: N at 9.2 mph

Windchill: 55°F (13°C)

As of May 25 2019, 4:55 pm

Students »

  • Each day more than 5,500 students learn and thrive in Moorhead Area Public Schools. We are proud of your successes both inside and outside the classroom.
  • Bullying Prevention

SPUDS Landing »

Parents »

New Families »

Community »

  • From seeing how the district spends tax dollars to providing opportunities for lifelong learning, Moorhead Area Public Schools and the community are partners in education. We welcome your interest.
Lifelong Learning


Independent School District No. 152 had its origins in a subscription school founded in Moorhead, Minnesota in 1872. It only had a life of two months, but later that year a permanent five-month school was started and housed in the Presbyterian Church.

On April 15, 1873, a school district was organized. The members of the first school board were James Douglas, president; Andrew Holes, treasurer; and James H. Sharp, clerk. James H. Sharp remained prominent on the Board of Education until 1905 and is remembered as the father of the Moorhead Public Schools.

On September 15, 1879, Moorhead Independent School District No. 2 was organized. The first graduate of Moorhead High School was Mathias Forsberg in 1883.

In 1880 Sharp School was built on the present site of Townsite Centre on Eighth Street. In 1894 the school was completely rebuilt. It served Moorhead students until 1921 when it was torn down and Moorhead High School, now Townsite Centre, was built. The school served students until the current high school was built in 1967.

In 1955, District No. 2 merged with other districts in the area to form Independent School District 152.

Moorhead High School has had the Spud mascot — also known as Spuddy — since the early 1920s. The name Spuds was adopted between 1918 and 1922. The area has a history of potato farming and at least one school was built on former potato farmland. In 2004, the Spud mascot was adopted district wide.